The United Kingdom has left the European Union on 31th January 2020 and by agreement, on 1st January 2021 withdrew from the common market and custom union. Therefore the rules has changed for EU citizens visiting, working or studying in the UK.

Coming to the UK as a visitor after 1st January 2021

  • A passport valid for at least the entire duration of your stay is required at the border.
  • If you are arriving by car, will need a green card, which can be requested from your insurance provider, proving you have a compulsory motor insurance.
  • As a visitor, EU citizens can stay in the UK for 6 months. You don’t need a visa if you have no criminal record and have not been refused at the border before.
  • Those with a criminal record or who have already been refused entry at the border must apply for a standard visa online before traveling here
  • As a visitor, you cannot work in any form (not even as self employed), also you cannot apply for any support, get married or live here for a longer period of time.

Bringing goods from the EU to Great Britain for personal use

  • Maximum of 200 cigarettes (that is approx. 1 carton) are allowed through customs.
  • Alcohol 42 litres of beer, 18 litres of wine, 4 litres of spirits or 9 litres of champagne or 9 litres of any alcoholic beverage of less than 22%.
  • The value of all items may not exceed £390.

Find out more here What allowed through custom.

Rights of EU citizens, who arrived by 31 December 2020

From 1st January 2021, only Irish citizens and those who arrived on or before 31 December 2020 will be able to work, study or start a business as before, without any restrictions.

You will be required to prove your Settled or Pre-settled status via share code for e.g.: work, studying, renting a flat, applying for benefits etc.

If you have a Settled or Pre-settled status, your EU ID card will be accepted until 31 December 2025.

Newcomer EU citizens working in the UK

From 1st January 2021 You will need a Work Visa before taking up any employment in the UK (except if you are an Irish citizen or you have settled or pre-settled status). There is also a healthcare surcharge of £624/year to pay with the Work Visa.

Available Work Visas:

Skilled worker visa

This is for whom an employer has already offered a position:

  • As a Skilled worker
  • In public sector health or social care, such as the NHS
  • In religious community work
  • As an elite sportsman or coach

Temporary worker visa

If you want to work in the UK for a short period of time in the following areas:

  • In sports
  • In art or entertainment
  • As a volunteer for a charity
  • Work experience, research or training program
  • For a religious organization

Business, talent and investor visas

If you want to start a business

  • Start up a visa for starting your first business
  • Innovator visa if you are an experienced businessman with funds to invest.

Newcomer EU citizens studying in the UK

For those arriving to study in the UK after  1st January 2021.

Studying for less than 6 months

You do not need a visa.

What is not allowed in the meantime:

  • You are not allowed to study at any British state-funded school or academy
  • You are not allowed to start a course longer than 6 months (unless distance learning)
  • You are not allowed to work (paid nor unpaid) (this includes work experience or professional practice, unless it is appropriate medical, veterinary or dental practice)
  • You are not allowed to live in the UK for a long time, either through frequent or consecutive visits
  • You are not allowed to apply for state benefits, subsidies, assistance

Short-term Study Visa

If you come to study English for up to 11 months in the UK, You need to apply for a short-term study visa.

The earliest You can apply for this visa is 3 months before travelling to the UK. Visa costs £186 + £470 healthcare surcharge. The maximum duration of stay permitted until the end of your course + 30 days, but not more than 11 months. You can apply online at Read more about it here.

What is not allowed in the meantime:

  • You are not allowed to Start any other course in the UK or change the original course.
  • You are not allowed To study at a British state-funded school or academy
  • You are not allowed to Extend the visa
  • You are not allowed to Do paid or unpaid work (this includes work experience or work experience) or start a business.
  • You are not allowed to Apply for state benefits, subsidies, assistance

Student Visa

If you are preparing for further study or a higher education course, you need to apply for a Student Visa. Read more details here.

Child Student Visa

From the age of 4 to 17, if your child is studying in an independent school, you need to apply for a Child Student visa for your child. You can read more details here.