From 1st January 2021 the rules has changed for EU citizens visiting, working or studying in the UK.! Newcomers need to apply for a Work Visa or in some cases a Student Visa.
Read more about it here

Rules for driving a foreign registered car as a visitor. After becoming a UK resident, you can not drive a car with a foreign number plate in the UK. You will need to register your car and change the number plate immediately.

Driving a foreign car in the UK

You can drive a car with a foreign registration plate in the UK if:

---- Advertisement. ----
Open an UK account to receive, transfer or convert any payment via Transferwise.
Use your contactless Hello World Mastercard within the UK and abroad.

Click here for more info

  • You are not resident in the UK, just visiting with no plans to live here.
  • The car is taxed, insured and registered in its country of origin.
  • You have a Green Card that shows your car is insured internationally. You can get this for free from your insurer.
  • The vehicle is only used for a maximum period of 6 months in any 12 months (can be one visit or several visits but not over 6 months in total). If you are stopped by the police they can demand that you show proof of being a visitor such as a train or ferry ticket.

After 6 months of visiting England, or if you become a UK resident, you must immediately tax and register your vehicle in the UK. You could be fined if you do not.

To do so, follow these steps for importing a vehicle into the UK:

  1. Inform HMRC (HM Revenues and Customs) within 14 days of importing your car into UK. You can do this online HMRC – NOVA
  2. Pay any Value Added Tax (VAT) and Duty if HMRC demand this.

3. Obtain “Vehicle Approval”. You must have the following documentation approved.

If your car is registered in an European Union country, you will need:

If your car is registered outside the EU, you will need to apply an for an IVA. It costs about £200 – £500. See all fees here.

4. Tax and Register your car with DVLA (they will give you a new registration number so you can have new registration plates) You can request a Used Vehicle Import Pack online DVLA Forms.

---- Advertisement. ----
Body repair, breaks, tyre, MOT and other services nationwide. Affordable prices. Book online at Kwik Fit.

Click here for more info

You will need:

  • your passport
  • proof of address e.g. bank account statement, medical card, council tax or utility bill
  • MOT certificate
  • Road tax + £55 registration fee
  • UK Motor Insurance

5. To drive off with your newly registered car, you will need to insure it first in the UK. Each person that drives the car must be insured.

Well known insurance comparison websites include:
AXA Car Insurance