Photo by

From 1st January 2021 the rules has changed for EU citizens visiting, working or studying in the UK.! Newcomers need to apply for a Work Visa or in some cases a Student Visa.
Read more about it here

Lost or stolen British and foreign passport, residence card, biometric residence permit and visas, driving licence and Global or European Health Insurance Card in London. 

Reporting your lost or stolen document

If any of your passport, identity card, travel documents or driving licence are lost or stolen, first you must report it to the police. You will be given a crime reference number that may be needed upon reporting it to the Home Office or your embassy. Contact the police by calling 101 or in person. Find your nearest Police Station (

---- Advertisment. ----
Sending international business payments or sending money to family overseas?
Xe are your fast and simple solution.

Take a look

Lost or stolen British passport and documents issued by British authorities must also be reported to the Home Office as soon as possible. 

Lost or Stolen foreign (your own country) documents

Lost or stolen foreign passport and documents issued by another (your own) country’s authorities, must be reported to your embassy, consulate or high commissioners immediately. There you can apply for an emergency travel document/passport if needed. Find your embassy here Embassies.

Lost items on Transport For London (TFL) services

If you lose anything on TFL services, these include: London underground, DLR, London buses, Trams, River services, London overground, TFL Rail, Black cabs (taxis), Emirates Cable car and Victoria coach station.

You can fill in the Lost Property form at the TFL website or email: If found you will be notified.

You can also ask station staff in person at underground stations or contact TFL Lost Property Office at 63-81 Pelham St, South Kensington, London SW7 2NJ Opening hours: 08:30 – 16:00 Monday to Friday (excluding bank holidays), by phone 0343 222 1234.

If you lose anything on National Rail, you should contact the railway company at the station in person or online.

---- Advertisement. ----

For buses get in touch with bus operator company here or for river services find a boat operator contact or email:

Trams by calling 020 8681 8300 or visit London Trams Shop, 5 Suffolk House, George Street, Croydon, CR10 1PE Opening hours: 09:00 – 17:00 Monday to Friday (excluding Bank Holidays).

Lost or stolen Bankcard

Call your bank to cancel the card immediately or report and cancel it via online banking.

Lost or stolen British Passport

If your British passport is lost or stolen, you must report and cancel it online immediately – cancel lost or stolen passport.

If it is lost or stolen in the UK, you can apply for a replacement

  • online – apply for a replacement passport or
  • by calling the Passport Advice Line 0300 222 0000 Monday – Friday 8am to 8pm weekend/public holidays 9am to 5:30pm or
  • you can use a paper application form to replace your passport, which can be obtained from any Post Office

It costs £85.50 for online or £95 for postal application.

If your British passport is lost or stolen outside the UK, you can apply for an emergency travel document/passport at the British embassy where you are staying. You will be able travel back to the UK through a maximum of 5 countries. Upon returning to the UK, it will be kept by the border.

Lost or stolen Residence card

Your residence card or permanent residence card is no longer valid (these cards are for EEA – European Economic Area nationals and their family members). You should apply for settled or pre-settled status instead.

Lost or stolen Biometric Residence Permit and visa

If you lose your Biometric Residence Permit or visa in your foreign passport, you must report and replace it as soon as possible. You can report and replace online if you are in the UK  – Report and replace BRP. You can report it online if you are outside the UK or you will not need a replacement – Report lost or stolen BRP.

You can not replace your BRP from outside the UK, instead you will need to apply for a replacement BRP visa that is valid for a single entry into the UK. The BRP visa cost around £160.

Lost or stolen British driving licence

If you lose your British driving licence you can report and replace it onlinereplace driving licence, by phone DVLA driver licensing enquiries Telephone: 0300 790 6801 Monday to Friday, 8am to 7pm Saturday, 8am to 2pm or by post fill in D1 application form for car, moped or motorcycle licence or D2 application form for lorry, minibus or bus  licences.

Lost or stolen European Health Insurance Card

If your GHIC or EHIC card is lost or stolen, you can report and apply for a replacement online or call 0300 330 1350 or email:, if you are in the UK.

You can also write to: GHIC Enquiries PO Box 1114 Newcastle upon Tyne NE99 2TL. Provide your full name, UK address, date of birth and, if known, your GHIC Personal Identification Number (PIN).

If your GHIC or EHIC card is lost or stolen and you are outside the UK in a European Economic Area country or Switzerland and need medical attention you will need to apply for a Provisional Replacement Certificate – PRC by calling the Overseas Healthcare Team on +44 191 218 1999, Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm. You will need to provide your:

  • National Insurance number
  • name
  • address
  • date of birth
  • NHS number, if possible
  • the email address or fax number for the specific department of the hospital or service where you’re receiving treatment.