You might need your P60 and P45 for Tax Refund, Pension, Proof of Earnings for loans, mortgages, benefits, or anything else in the future. It is advisable to keep them.

P60 is a yearly earnings and tax summary of a tax year. A tax year starts from 6 April and ends in the following year 5 April. Your employer is required to give you your P60 by 31 May. If you work for more than one employer, then you should get a P60 from each of them. If you have lost your P60, your employer must issue you with a copy.

---- Advertisement. ----
Compare Car, van, motor insurance prices on

Click here for a quote

If you leave your job, you will be given a P45 earnings and tax summary to date by your employer. If you lost your P45, you won’t be able to get a copy. You can request a statement of earnings from your employer, which you can use as a P45.

Example of a requesting letter

Your name
Telephone number
Your address

*Company name*
Human Resource/Payroll Manager
*Company’s address*

Subject: Request Statement of Earnings from Previous Employer

Date:* Today’s date*

---- Advertisement. ----

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am writing to request a copy of my statement of earnings on company headed paper for the year *2016/2017*, as is my entitlement under the 1998 Data Protection Act. If you would be so kind as to send the statement of earnings to the above address at your earliest convenience.

Yours Sincerely

*Your signature*
*Your name printed*