Travel Student Discounts on OYSTER Card in London.
Travel Youth and Student Discounts on Train 16 to 25 Railcard in England.
Student ID card and Discounts in England.NUS Extra Card
International student card and Youth Card (up to 30 years old)
Student bank account
Council Tax discount

OYSTER student discount for London residents

30% discount on season tickets for students. To get this you need an oyster card with 18+ photo card. The registration fee for the card is £20.

---- Advertisement. ----

– You are at least 18 years old
– You are resident in London for part-time or full-time studies or a Mandatory Work Placement.

In addition at least one of the following is required:
– your studies must last for at least 14 weeks
– You study at least 15 hours a week from Monday to Friday (evening study does not count)
– You get a NHS bursary as a full-time student
– You are a full-time postgraduate student
– You are a part-time student with an NHS bursary
– You are a part-time HECFE (Higher Education Council for England) postgraduate student

First you will need to register online at TFL’s website at Then apply for a 18+ photo card.
You will need:
– a digital colour  photo (full face and shoulders)
– the Enrolment number from your school or university
– the duration of your course
– your bank card to pay the registration fee of £20.
– your email address

After the purchase, the card will be sent within 2 weeks. The card is valid for the duration of your study. If your study will last longer than 3 years, you will need to order a new card for free.

If you have a 16-25 Railcard, you can combine it with your 18+ oyster and get a total discount of 34%.

16-25 Railcard Discount in England

If you travel by train three or more times a year, it is advisable to get a 16-25 Railcard, which entitles you to a 1/3 discount on rail travel. The card costs £30 a year. Some banks will provide this for free of charge with a student bank account. Apply online for 16-25 Railcard.

---- Advertisement. ----
Body repair, breaks, tyre, MOT and other services nationwide. Affordable prices. Book online at Kwik Fit.

Click here for more info


You are between 16 and 25 years of age
In this case, a valid British driving licence or passport and a digital passport photo are required to apply. The card will be sent out within 5 working days.

If you are over 25

  • You study at a recognised college or university, more than 15 hours a week, at least 20 weeks a year. (Open University, distance learning and part-time students over 25 years of age are not eligible for the card).
  • The application form, mature student section must be filled in by the College or University.
  • An NUS card or Student card must be presented for identity verification.
  • You can apply online, but will still need to attach a Mature Student declaration.
Are you looking for a job in London? 
Upload your CV at CV Library and start browsing amongst thousands of jobs. Ad.

Student ID Card

Every full-time student gets a student ID card or NUS card from their university, college or other further education school. The card verifies that you are a full time student and qualify for a student discount.

Student discounts for shopping can be found on the following websites.

Student Union

You can add extra discounts to your NUS student card by purchasing a NUS Extra Card. Discounts with NUS Extra Card.

You can buy a card for 1, 2 or 3 years. The card fee is £12 for 1 year, £22 for 2 years,£32 for 3 years. You can purchase the card at It also includes 1 year of free international student ID card – ISIC discounts.


  • You are over 16 years old. (No upper limit)
  • You are studying in higher education or further education.
  • The course requires at least 10 hours a week of studying.
  • The course lasts for at least 12 weeks.
  • It must be an officially recognised, accredited course.

Student unions protect students’ rights. The National Union of Students (NUS) represents 7 million students. You can read more on your university’s website. You can also join or follow their campaigns at

Buy your laptop, furniture, TV, kitchenware, bathroom and garden accessories at Argos. 
Affordable prices. Ad.

International Student Card – ISIC Card

An internationally recognised card that gives you worldwide discounts: The card fee is £12 for 1 year and can be purchased online at

ISIC is only available for full-time students, therefore you have to prove that you are currently studying full time. At the time of application you will need your passport or your national identity card. Additionally, one of the following documents is required:

  • A copy of your student ID card, clearly dated and indicating that you are a full-time student.
  • A signed and dated official letter from the university or school that certifies that you are a full-time student. The original copy is required, photocopies and faxes might also be accepted.

International Youth Travel Card – IYTC

An internationally recognised card that gives you worldwide discounts: It is for young adults under the age of 30 and who are not full-time students. The card fee is £12 for 1 year, can be purchased online at You will need your passport or your national identity card and passport photo for the registration.

Get your study materials from Amazon Books for less. Advert

Student bank accounts

As a student, you may wish to open a student bank account.

Student accounts are free and most banks can offer an overdraft of up to £3000. The overdraft is interest free, so you only repay the amount you borrow. No late fee is charged, so you do not have to repay it within a specified time.

What you need to open an account:

– Photo ID e.g: passport or an Identity card from European Economic Area.
– Your proof of address, e.g. Bank account statement, water, gas account not older than 3 months
– A letter confirming that you are a student or UCAS or a university.

In 2017, these banks had the best student bank accounts: Santander, Nationwide, Halifax, HSBC, RBS, Natwest, Barclays, Lloyds, TSB, The Co-operative Bank.

Local Tax Refund – Council Tax

In a household where everyone is a full-time student, no council tax is payable. If there are two residents and one of you is a student you are entitled to a 25% reduction in your council tax. Apply online